b'WESTERN MARBLE ARCH SYNAGOGUEJewish teenager in Paris, Herta witnessed frenzied citizens running euphorically through the streets of Berlin, shouting death to the Jews, entering Jewish homes, throwing furniture out of windows, looting shops, setting light to synagogues, the flames rose into the sky. The 9th -10th November 1938 became known as the Night of Broken Glass, Kristallnacht. Every day Herta walked through the shards of glass and debris, risking being singled out as a Jew to the office where she queued to obtain visas and tickets for her children to leave Berlin. On 8th December she told Betty and Simon that they were to leave for England on the Kindertransport. My grandfather who was now in Tarnov would eventually join them. My grandmother packed the requisite one suitcase for each of them and gave them the permitted 10 marks per child. I will follow you. Herta reassured Simon and Betty, They will not allow children to be alone, you will see I will be there. In silence Herta took her children to the Annhalterbahnhoff and waved them goodbye for the last time. A smile lit up her beautiful face.Herta went to join her husband in Tarnov. In June 1942 Paul was ordered to be an acting head of the Judenrat, a position he did not want. His first instruction was from Grunz, one the most malevolent of all the Nazis in Poland, he was to deliver 1000 Jews for execution within an hour. Paul responded, I can only deliver one Jew and he is waiting for you here. Within half an hour Grunz arrived at Reisss office and shot him. Herta was rounded up and sent to the gas chambers of Auschwitz.My late mother Trude Reiss was born in Vienna and lived in Hollandstrasse. She was the much-loved daughter of Karoline and Seleg Arm. With them lived her beloved grandmother Henni Peczernick. I recall the following accounts vividly; upon leaving school one afternoon Trude became aware that she was being followed by a Nazi officer, she was eight years-old and she knew she could not return home until he desisted or she would expose her family. She walked for well over three hours weaving in and out of streets, alleyways, buildings and shops until he tired of following her. Her second memory was seeing her fathers grocery shop ransacked, the glass was shattered and the word Juden emblazoned on the front. Seleg went into hiding. Trude vividly recalls being smuggled in to see her father; eventually Seleg obtained a visa to England, to Richborough in Kent, the Kitchener Camp was home to many Austrian and German refugees. From there he found sponsorship for Karoline to come to England, she travelled on a housekeepers permit and was to work for a family called Selby in Sussex. Trude had no visa to enter England, when the Nazi guards boarded the trains to inspect documentation my mother went from compartment to compartment, railway carriage to railway carriage avoiding them, she hid in the toilet. On arrival at the English border she was underneath Karolines long skirt. The guard on duty saw her, smiled and waved them on and so began the great love affair my mother had for this country. Sadly I never knew my grandmother Karoline, she brought my mother to safety and died shortly after. Henni Peczernick waved Trude and Karoline goodbye at the station in Vienna, she was rounded up and taken to Theresienstadt where she perished.12'