b'BOOK OF MEMORY FOR HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL DAYas neither had that experience. But the family invited them over. They arrived three days before war broke out. Thats how we were saved from the Holocaust. Unfortunately, my grandmother had to be left behind and did not survive. My parents lived near Hastings and were soon forced to leave as, anticipating an invasion, the British government set up a 20 mile no-alien zone around the coast. They moved to London and rented a room in someones flat but couldnt have us live together there. The war brought many restrictions. Food was rationed and the purchase of cloth and clothing had to be accompanied with coupons. To deter air raids, all visible light was forbidden at night. Consequently, electric torches were used and batteries were in great demand. These were often manufactured in backrooms but black soot was used to pack the cases and dust permeated everywhere, which deterred my father. He had a better idea. Fearing air raids, everyone was issued with gas masks packed into square cardboard boxes that had to be carried constantly. My dad found some plastic oil cloth and my mum made multicoloured covers. They became fashion items and stores started selling them - that was their first business.During the Blitz, the building where my parents were living was badly damaged and they moved to Bedford, where dad got a job painting buildings. It was difficult as he was already in his 50s but I was able to come and live with them, and my sister was offered a special place at Stroud High School.After the Blitz, the family returned to London where dad started a textile agency. My sister went to fashion college and later set up ladies boutiques in the West End and Kensington. She married kosher butcher Norman Jacobs, who later became chairman of the Kosher Butchers Association. Coincidentally, one of his customers was the family of Sidney Jacques, President of the Western Synagogue. I was made Bar Mitzvah in Bayswater Synagogue. When it closed due to war damage, we went to the Western Synagogue and joined Western Marble Arch when the two Synagogues amalgamated in 1991.I became an optician and practiced for 17 years in Bristol. I returned to London when I married my wife Marion Black, immediately becoming a stepfather, later step-grandfather and eventually, step-great grandfather.After retiring, Harry began volunteering with World Jewish Relief, who were responsible for initiating the Kindertransport. He started the Optical Project, which supplies prescription glasses to Jewish communities in Eastern Europe. In December 2019, Harry received the Edwards Outstanding Lifetime Achievement in Volunteering at the Jewish Volunteering Network awards.21'