b'WESTERN MARBLE ARCH SYNAGOGUEMY LIFE HARRY HEBERH arry Heber, 88, has a long-standing family connection to the Western Synagogue, and has been a member of Western Marble Arch since the merger in 1991. Born in Austria, he came to England on the Kindertransport programme. Harry wrote this article following a conversation with Charlotte Pasha in December 2019.I was born in Innsbruck, Austria, which had a small Jewish community. My father was theproprietorofashopsellingclothing and bedroom necessities. Immediately after the annexation by Germany in March 1938, known as the Anschluss, the window of his shop was daubed Jude and menaced by anHarry receiving an awardSS guard who stood outside discouraging potential customers from entering, resulting in inevitable closure. Our family was expelled from Innsbruck and brought under police escort to Vienna. After Kristallnacht, my father tried to obtain visas to leave. The situation was hopeless, but my parents heard about the Kindertransport, by which unaccompanied children could be sent to England. After much hesitation they reluctantly agreed and my sister Ruth aged 10 and I, aged 7, left Vienna on December 18th, 1938.Our parents had repeatedly told us that we should not be parted. Our train with some 200 children went to Harwich in Sussex, ending in Dovercourt, a reception centre. There was lots of publicity about the Kindertransport programme in England and many children were taken into Jewish and non-Jewish homes. While at Dovercourt, a gentleman approached me and indicated he would like me to come to live with his family. I immediately asked him, what about my sister? We were both taken toward his home in East Sussex, but we were soon separated again. Ruth joined the gentlemans family but I was dropped to stay with an elderly couple who lived in a bleak cottage in a snow-covered field. There was no electric power and they spoke no German; I no English. I cried my eyes out for three days and nights. Thankfully I was soon placed in a small boarding school and amongst other children I was much happier and settled quickly. Ruth remained with the family but kept asking when my parents would be coming. When one of the maids quit, Ruth had the presence of mind to suggest my Mum could do the cleaning and cooking and my dad could be handyman and gardener. This was not true 20'