b'WESTERN MARBLE ARCH SYNAGOGUEwere burnt to the ground, and many Jews were attacked and killed as well. Unfortunately my grandfather, Henrich Neuman, who was required to have a clean bill of health before being able to come to England, was so elated when he passed the requisite medical that he ran out of the clinic without looking and was badly injured by a tram, and so was unable to travel, and by the time he died several months later, the borders were closed and my grandmother, Rosa and her son Max were trapped. In January 1942 they were taken from their home in Berthestrasse to Grunewald station in Berlin and put on a train to Riga, where they were murdered on arrival.We left everything, our home our business, the Tiergarten where I used to love to play, and life as we knew it. En route (to England) we stopped in Brussels in Belgium where my mother had decided to leave my twin brother and myself in a convent where we were to be cared for by the nuns. Her intention was to travel ahead with my father, elder brother and the nanny, Rutchen, until she had found a place to live and premises to start a new business. Three months later Mummy collected us and we had a very rough channel crossing to Harwich, where our papers were stamped February 1939 seven months before the start ofWorld War Two.We lived in a rented a flat in Brook Lodge, which was on the North CircularRoadandIrememberhangingoverthebalconyand watching hundreds of lorries filled with troops going to the coast and on to Europe. My father was interned on the Isle of Man for six months as he was without papers. Not being able to speak much English at the time, it must have been terrible for him.My parents worked hard to establish a new life and never spoke about their experiences. My older brother had nightmares for the rest of his life about his early years growing up under the Nazis.My mother died aged 59 from cancer bought on I am sure from the stress she endured, and daddy had a heart attack 18 months later. Most of my fathers large family in Poland perished.After 80 years, in October 2018, I finally returned to Berlin, and was able to see Schutzenstrasse, It was a very emotional visit for me. I was interviewed by the chief reporter of the Axel Springer Group of newspapers, who invited my daughter and me to his offices, after which he wrote a very moving article about the Englander family, which can be seen online: www.axelspringer.com/en/inside/dolores-rosereturns30'